Monday, November 4, 2013

Blog Entry 3

On Wednesday October 30th I returned to observe my MicroAquariam some more. The tanks had received a Beta Food Pellet via Dr. McFarland on October 25th which was after my previews viewing. During this observation period I spotted another Euchlanis Rotifer, and cyclops, only this time the cyclops was a Juvenial Cyclops (Rains and Russell 1996). It was rather easy tot ell that this cyclops was smaller than the one seen in the previous weeks lab, but the similarities were great. It, like its mature relatives was quick moving, and seemed to almost be a dominant force in the MicroAquariam. Certainly these Cyclopes, fully grown or not, are predators in the Third Creek, where my water sample was collected. The Rotifer on the other hand seem to move aimlessly about the tank, and most likely are consumed by the Cyclops. I have included a couple images taken off of my phone a Motorola Razor Droid, of the two Cyclops, both Juvenile and mature. I am looking forward to getting back in and seeing what changes have occured over the past week, and any other organisms I may be able to locate.

Beta Food Pellet Citation
"Atison's Betta Food" made by Ocean Nutrition, Aqua Pet Americas, 3528 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84104. Ingredients: Fish meal, wheat flower, soy meal, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservatives. Analysis: Crude Protein 36%; Crude fat 4.5%; Crude Fiber 3.5%; Moisture 8% and Ash 15%.

Juvenile Cyclops

Mature Cyclops

No comments:

Post a Comment